Friday, May 8, 2009

Gavin Hood: It's about doing the best you can, not who you know

SHOOT: Fantastic advice. He's saying it's not a 'something for nothing' world. It's not exchanging business cards and show me the money. It's 'what have you done?' 'Where's your portfolio'. Exactly right. I wonder why there is such a morose picture of him in The Times though? Looks like he's just swallowed a beetle in his sparkling water and he's like, "I can actually feel it's alive, crawling in my stomach!"
clipped from www.thetimes.co.za

What is it like working in Hollywood?

There isn’t really such a place, it’s a sign on a hill, more of a state of mind, I think. But it’s great to be there because it’s the place where people who want to do films gravitate to, and there are people from all over the world who are very good at what they do in a fairly confined place. That’s both intimidating and exciting, because the competition is huge and there are lots of people whose dreams don’t come true. It’s a very strange place. For me, the best thing is to stay just outside of that world, near the beach. I surf with some friends who have nothing to do with the movie business and they keep me grounded.

Was the Oscar your golden ticket to that world?

Oh, no question. I’ve always said, “Do the best you can”. Young film makers always say, “Who do I have to meet?”.

I never really met people, my films got noticed and I hope they got noticed because I made them as well as I could.
 blog it

No comments:

Post a Comment