Saturday, May 2, 2009

Exclusive: Wolverine Director Gavin Hood

CSSHH!: Are you taking some kind of resting period as well?
Hood: I'm taking a little time off, but I haven't really taken a break between "Tsotsi" and "Rendition" and "Wolverine." In the interim, I had twins that were actually born right in pre-production and I flew out to Australia when they were eight weeks old. (laughs) So this has been quite a year with twins, and I think taking a little break won't be a bad thing.
Hood: Obviously I went back to the comics and studied the comics. What you discover though--which some comic book fans may not want to hear--is that the comics don't agree with each other. This is a character who has been written about and illustrated by many different writers who spanned over many decades. What they all have in common is of course that fabulous line which says, "I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice." Now, every book and certainly the film is true to that idea, which is the guy who doesn't necessarily like his own nature has this tendency towards berserker rage. He's trying to control his more animalistic side, but occasionally, he lashes out at the world with his claws. Those are the sort of things that you draw on that you must be true to. But whether he wears the yellow spandex outfit or whether he wears jeans and a shirt, there's evidence of both in the comics, and I chose to go with (the latter) version.
 blog it

No comments:

Post a Comment