Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Movie Review: Gran Torino


My girlfriend and I walked out of Rachel Getting Married and decided to watch Gran Torino instead (Oddly enough I had a long dream about Rachel Getting Married actress Anne Hathaway last night). Moving right along, Clint Eastwood plays hard as nails Walt Kowalski in GT, a retired Korean war vet. The movie is set in Detroit after the car factories have closed down and neighbours have moved out - replaced by an immigrant population. Even so Walt hangs up his American flag.

Smokie: Are you fucking crazy? Go back in the house.
Walt Kowalski: Yea? I blow a hole in your face and then I go in the house... and I sleep like a baby. You can count on that. We used to stack fucks like you five feet high in Korea... use you for sandbags.


What I liked about this flick is the realism - the realistic way Eastwood handles racism, and growing up (and growing old), and gangs, and religion. Charming too is Eastwood's (or is it Kowalski's) take on 'being a man' and 'man talk'.

Walt Kowalski: Now you just gotta learn how guys talk. You just listen to the way Martin and I batter it back and forth. You OK? You're ready?
Thao Vang Lor: Sir!
Walt Kowalski: Alright let's go in...
Barber Martin: Perfect! a Polak and AND a chink!
Walt Kowalski: How ya doing Martin, you crazy Italian prick?
Barber Martin: Walts! You cheap bastard! I should have known you'd come in, I was having such a pleasant day!
Walt Kowalski: What'd you do? You ruse some poor blind guy out of his money? Gave him the wrong change?
Barber Martin: Who's the nip?
Walt Kowalski: Ohh... He's a pussy kid from next door. I'm trying to man him up a little bit... You see kid, now that's how guys talk to one another.
Thao Vang Lor: They do?
Barber Martin: What, you got shit on your ribs?
Walt Kowalski: Now you go out and come back in and talk to him like a man, like a REAL man. Come on! Get your ass outta here! Come on back now. to Martin: Sorry about this.
Thao Vang Lor: What's up ya old Italian prick?
Barber Martin: pointing rifle at Thao: Get out of my shop before I blow your head off, you goddamn dick sucker! Go!
Walt Kowalski: Jezus Christ, Holy Shit! Hehe Take it easy, take it easy. to Thao: What the hell are you doing? Have you lost your mind?
Thao Vang Lor: But that's what you said. That's what you said men say.
Walt Kowalski: You don't just come in and insult the man in his own shop! You just don't do that. What happens if you meet some stranger? You get the wrong one , he's gonna blow your gook head right off!
Thao Vang Lor: What should I have said then?
Barber Martin: Well... why don't you start with... eeehm... Hi or Hello...
Walt Kowalski: Yeah, just come in and say... eeeehm... Sir, I'd like a haircut if you have the time.
Barber Martin: Yeah, be polite, but don't kiss ass.
Walt Kowalski: In fact you could talk about a construction job you just came from and bitch about your girlfriend and your car.
Barber Martin: eeeehm... Son of a bitch, I just got my brakes fixed and eeehmm those son of bitches really nailed me, I mean they screwed me right in the ass!
Walt Kowalski: Yeah, don't swear AT the guy, just talk about people who are not in the room... eeeh... you could talk about your boss... eeeh... making you work extra time when there is bowling night.
Barber Martin: Right, or... eeeh... my old lady bitches for two goddamn hours about how... eeeeh... they don't take expired coupons at the grocery stores. And the minute I turn on the fucking game, she starts crying how we never talk!


It is also interesting to observe how the neighbours grow on Walt and will probably grow on movie audiences. You'll soon find yourself caring about their trials and tribulations - and you might be surprised by how much. Why, because it portrays something we all know - the human condition.

An excellent and relevant film.
8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment