Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How To Get Your Screenplay Made Into A Movie...

“The movie bounced around Hollywood for a long time, but everyone said that we couldn’t make it without Lucas’s permission,” Cline says, “and we did not think we would ever get Lucas’s permission for a story about breaking into Lucas Film and stealing a copy of the film.” - Ernie Cline, writer of FANBOYS

MM: The article below presents a great example how an idea evolves towards Silver Screen reality. If your idea has promise, send to us. If we like we'll post it here; if we love it we'll send it on to some of the industry experts we know.
Email submissions to nickvanderleek@gmail.com and put the word "PITCH" in the subject line. Include a short description and a premise.
clipped from www.thetimes.co.za

The movie Fanboys is an affectionate, self-mocking ode to “geekdom” and the script, by Ernie Cline, spent 11 years in limbo before it finally made it to the screen. Cline is a self-confessed Star Wars geek who felt bereft and abandoned when the first trilogy ended with Return of the Jedi in 1983.

Little did he know that he would have to wait 16 tormenting years before the Star Wars saga would be continued. Cline was five years old when Star Wars hit theatres in 1977.

“It was a big, big deal to me and my brother, Eric. We spent our whole childhood playing Star Wars,” he says.

In 1995 he learned Lucas was finally making the long-anticipated prequel trilogy.

“I was obsessed and in a morbid state of mind because of the recent death of my mother. It occurred to me that I’d been waiting to see this Star Wars movie for more than half my life. What if I died before it came out? It seemed ridiculous, but I thought, that’s a great idea for a movie!”

 blog it

No comments:

Post a Comment